Monday, December 24, 2007

SLL 2.0--Week 1, Things 3&4--Create blog & avatar; start posting; register

OK, got the blog going. Coming up with a name for it was a challenge: CSLA wants me to end it with something SLL 2.0-related, but if I'm going to be using this as my blog after completing the 23 Things, I'd rather not have end with some cryptic (to non SLL2.0-ers) "sll20" or "library2" or "tl2" (Teacher Librarian 2.0) stuff. I'd also like it to be somewhat unique (of course), and represent me somehow. Remembering my long-standing annoyance with the term "surfing" having been given a second meaning in the early days of general Web popularity, I decided to use "browsing isn't surfing" (http://browsingisntsurfing.blogspot.com): the phrase states my case, and anyone who's curious can read my first post where I explain it. Although it's a bit much to type, I figure it isn't too difficult or tedious, fairly easy to remember--and hey, you only have to do it once; that's what bookmarks and RSS are for!

Re. the titling of each post with something CSLA SLL 2.0-ers can easily recognize and relate to the "Thing" it's about and evidence of, that makes all kinds of sense (I am a librarian, after all). Though it's a bit more work, I vow to do it--for them--always. After all, one/several of them are going to actually take on the task of reading my posts and logging my SLL 2.0 progress... on top of their "day jobs" and the rest of their life! Thanks, folks!

Creating the avatar in Yahoo! was kind of fun--though I was surprised they didn't have one of a surfer. But then, since I haven't been in the water for months, I'm not really much of a surfer anymore <:-( . Since I've joined the community of the Seaside Center for Spiritual Living and am undertaking some spiritual growth, I figured the guy sitting in the lotus (which I can't and don't try to even approximate) would serve for now. I'd like to put a great photo of a breaking tube along the top of my blog page--and the template I chose looks as if it should allow me to do that--but don't have the time right now to go hunt for one and play with that... eye candy has to take a back seat to creating custom business cards for three people, printing and slicing, and wrapping... Christmas Eve is tomorrow!

Registering my blog w/ CSLA is a must-do, however... Done. A minor glitch here, though:
I tried clicking on the link behind the text "CSLA 2.0 Team" toward the bottom of the "#3" page (http://schoollibrarylearning2.blogspot.com/2007/02/3-week-2-create-your-own-blog-avatar.html) that points to "www2.blogger.com/CSLA2team@yahoo.com" but it only opens a "Not Found / Error 404" page. So I emailed directly from my email client (Eudora) to . That email hasn't been kicked back yet, so hopefully it got through.

3 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Welcome to School Library Learning 2.0 - so glad to see you here. "Winter 2.0 Fun" is a great way to catch up on all the web 2.0 tools and get your mind around curriculum connections.

Best wishes.
- JackieS
CSLA 2.0 Team project manager

Comet librarian 2 said...

Welcome aboard. With your computer background this should be a piece of cake. Having read all the way back to your first post, I will never be able to talk about surfing the web without a twinge of guilt.

Becca said...

Welcome to Winter Fun! I found that titling the entries to correspond with the course outline was especially handy when I wanted to go back to review my notes, or when I checked out others' blogs to see what they were doing, it helped that I could go directly to that section.

Probably you'll find that by seeing your avatar in the lotus position every time that you visit your blog, by the end of the 23 Things you will be able to do it in real life, too!