Friday, July 1, 2011

Think Before You Post

The Permanence of Posting Online is a sobering article worth a read from long-experienced technology observer and writer John C. Dvorak. Yes, he's a self-admitted curmudgeon (and I guess my cross-posting this makes me one, too), but he's a smart guy and--especially for party-loving young people who are (or will be) looking for jobs--his point is worth considering.

Sure, you can limit who can see your Facebook pages and photos to just your Friends, but what if a prospective employer (the person in HR in charge of screening applications) makes Friending him/her a requirement before he/she will even consider your application? If I were an employer I certainly would.

1 comment:

mlaiuppa said...

Well, I have no facebook or twitter account, so there is no way for my employer to demand access to something that doesn't exist.

I do have a private blog and one friend. We use it to communicate since phone calls are cost prohibitive and her e-mail account is so overwhelming she rarely checks it and my e-mails can easily get dumped with the spam.

I think the lesson here is to teach restraint. Something very difficult for our oh so social youth, who much share every iota of their private lives.

Yes, it will come back to bite. But I guess the only way some people learn is to be bitten.