Sunday, January 6, 2008

SLL 2.0--Week 3, Thing 7--Blogging

"Create a blog post about anything technology-related that interests you this week." Hmm. This could take days... And we're also asked to post a Comment on someone else's blog; more days...

Part of my problem is that I have many thoughts about so much I encounter and have a penchant, once I start writing, to just go on and on (in case you hadn't noticed). The other "problem" is that the Web--just the blogosphere of SLL 2.0-ers--is a rabbit hole into which one can dive endlessly.

Case in point: I decided to read some posts from one of the most frequent Commenters to my own post, "becca." Clicking on the link that is her name on her posts tells me her Profile is not available (and urges me to make my own Profile public, which I have). On the SLL 2.0 "Web" (blog) site, "becca's path" is listed so on a guess I click on that and am taken to the "Becca's path" blog which is clearly an early SLL 2.0-er's own blog of her own SLL 2.0 journey ("Becca"... must be a her, eh?) There she says she's, "Elatedly living and working in Berkeley..." Anyway, there's also a link there to another blog of hers, "Caminante" ("traveler" in Spanish), where she tells "Berkely folks" (of which I'm not one) to go, "For more updated links to active Berkeley blogs." So I jumped over there, browsed her posts a bit, and found one that struck me fancy: "Time: the never-ending story," (now that I can relate to!) I posted a Comment to that post. Still curious, though, I logged into the CSLA Membership Directory and looked for the "Rebecca"s, of which there turned out to be ten. I found one who was CSLA Southern Section Past President and "Professional" (at this point I doubt there are as many "Paraprofessionals" this far along with SLL 2.0), so I took a wild guess and emailed her. Will she turn out to be the "mystery Becca" who's been so diligent in Commenting on my own blog posts? We'll see!...

Not one to well enough alone and move along, I couldn't resist going to find the blog of my amazing colleague Thomas Kaun. A hugely tech- and library-savvy TL (teacher librarian), I know he and I share an interest in ebooks, so I thought I'd see if he has posted any thoughts about them. I don't remember now how I tracked it down, but I did manage to discover what turns out to be just one of his three blogs: Continuing Education! There he has a great "search this blog" tool (which I hope someday to discover how to add to my own here), so I searched "ebooks" and *Bingo*--sure enough: "A Book Is a Book Is a Book?" which he posted 8/17/07. But his post is about a "Fascinating discussion on See Also about the definition of 'book'", so of course I had to follow his link to this discussion, then read it (a post and all its 19 followon comments), then Google "FRBR" to find out what the heck that was to which some of the discussion referred (in case you're curious: "Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records"). (See what I mean about the rabbit hole? Reminds me of line from song from some rock band: "One thing leads to another...")

Once I'd digested that post and its 19 comments, then I posted a comment to Tom's on posting... and had to stop myself before going on for pages about ebooks. But I did say in that comment I'd post something else about them here, so that will be my next blog entry. Then I'll have well and truly finished all the Things for Week 3--and be a week behind my own schedule already!

1 comment:

Becca said...

Aw, shucks, even if I were to make my profile public it wouldn't amount to much. But I'll go ahead and do so, so that it is easier to make contact I guess, which is probably why I didn't make it public to begin with, but I'm always game for new approaches. Becca's Path is my early (read: last summer) 2.0 journey, and Caminante is the one I'm semi-keeping up on...and yes I did see your post (and responded to it) but I am impressed that you dug further into the CSLA directory which I can never remember my password to so I never access (I know, bad member) but no, I really go by Becca so the Rebecca you emailed is not me though I'm sure she's very knowledgeable if she was the Southern Section Past President! If you were, however, to google the info you do know, like becca berkeley and library, then there I am. But, I've gone and made my profile public anyway so it's easier. And, yes on one hand I'm diligent, but also I'm just plain old responsible. I said I would be one of the peer cheerers, so that's what I'm doing! You are one of my "assignments"!

And I agree, Tom Kaun is quite prolific/thorough/knowledgeable. And also one can find oneself halfway down a rabbit hole without even realizing it. Now on to your ebook post......